Shipping & Monitoring
“The tracking of vessels will be made available when the shipping season resumes this year, likely in July 2020 depending on ice conditions.”
- The potential for shipping to interfere with local hunting
- The potential for vessels to affect marine mammals
- The potential for shipping to harm the health of the marine ecosystem
- Baffinland runs a number of different monitoring programs throughout the shipping season. These programs will:
- Measure the impacts that shipping is having on the marine environment.
- Assess the accuracy of predictions of effects
- Determine if adaptive mitigation measures need to be developed.
- Aerial Survey: Monitors narwhal abundance and distribution and other marine mammal species in the project area
- Bruce Head Shore-based Monitoring: Investigates narwhal response to shipping along the Northern Shipping Route by observing them from the top of Bruce Head.
- Ship-based Observer: investigates narwhal response to shipping activities by observing them from icebreaker MSV Botanica
- Marine environmental effects and Aquatic Invasive Species:
- monitoring of ballast water and video monitoring of vessel hulls
- Water quality, sediment, metals
- Fish abundance and health
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org