Health & SafetyHealth & Safety - Safety First, Always
Health and Safety is at the core of everything we do. We continue the successful implementation of our Health, Safety, Environment, and Community (HSEC) Management System based on our Vision, Policies, and Standards. Our risk-based approach to managing health and safety is focused on identifying risks and implementing effective controls for all activities.
Interaction with our employees and contractors through visible in field leadership and discussion, risk assessments, Health & Safety Committees, daily pre-start meetings, layered audits, and robust training further support our “Safety First, Always” approach. Our strong health and safety culture, built on our “Safety First, Always” philosophy is about having the right controls in place that will foster and build a risk sensitive safety culture that will lead to improved safety outcomes in all areas of our business.COVID-19 Update
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Baffinland has taken a layered approach to managing COVID-19 to protect the health and safety of all employees and contractors. As the pandemic has continued to evolve, adjustments to our measures have been informed by operational considerations, and the epidemiological situation in Nunavut, Canada and internationally. The following control measure adjustments remain in place:Travel Measures
- Masks are required for anyone who develops any symptoms while travelling, including in the terminal, on the aircraft and until they have reached their room. Anyone who develops symptoms will be assessed by the on site medical team.
- Anyone who has symptoms prior to travel must take a Rapid Antigen Test. If testing positive, do not travel to site and contact HR. If testing negative, masks are required throughout travel and on site medical will assess the traveller on arrival.
- Anyone feeling sick or having flu-like symptoms must stay in their room and contact the on site medical staff
- COVID-19 testing may be required as necessary.
- If you test positive for COVID-19, on site medical staff will advise on the course of action however you will be required to isolate until symptoms have improved over 24 hours (or 48 hours if gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea) and you do not have a fever. If you have a positive test result and no symptoms, you will not need to isolate unless symptoms develop at which time, you must report to the on site medical staff. If you have tested positive and been in isolation, you will be required to wear a mask for 5 days following your isolation period.
The wearing of masks is still strongly recommended in the terminal, on the plane, outside private rooms, in group settings or within the camps. In addition, to lower the risk of infection, continue to maintain an appropriate distance from others, frequently wash your hands with soap and warm water, and use hand sanitizer when entering the dining hall.
Please do your part to avoid unnecessary risks that may impact your safety and others. Baffinland is committed to taking the appropriate preventative measures. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and adjust accordingly.